This blog post contains affiliate links and ads. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The words and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author. Read more info on our Disclosure policy

Are you looking to find the various English test for your Spouse visa, Work Permit, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and Naturalisation here in the UK? 

For the past 8 years that I have lived in the UK, there were countless times that the UK Home Office changed their rules around the immigration policies.

Life in the UK Test
Some of the things that they’ve implemented are the Secure English Language Test and Citizenship test or a.k.a Life in the UK test.

I must admit that the changes to the policies are tougher on immigrants, with the goal to cut down immigration here in the UK.

On my journey to become a Naturalised UK Citizen, I have had to take and pass all the exams required, Thank God I did!

The UK Home Office implemented the Secure English Language Test (SELT), there are two accredited Language test providers that can give the test here in the UK and internationally.

They are the Trinity College London and the Cambridge English Language Assessment.

Who needs to take the SELT?

The majority of the UK immigration routes will need to obtain SELT. These are:

Tier 1 (Entrepreneur and Graduate Entrepreneur)

Tier 2 (General, Minister of Religion, and Sportsperson)

Tier 4 (General)

A representative of an Overseas Business



Settlement and Citizenship

The tests vary depending on the type of immigration route that you are taking.

Some routes will require a thorough English Language Assessment (Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking) these are common on academic and business routes.

However, for settlement and partners, the Life Skills test are advisable, where only Listening and Speaking sections are to be taken.

The two accredited SELT by the Home Office are: 

IELTS SELT Consortium (The UK and International)

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is an international English Test that is recognised worldwide.

It is used primarily for migration, academic or work purposes.

The IELTS exams are mostly paper-based and time-pressured with the scoring system of Band 1 to 9.

The exam results are only valid for 2 years.

The IELTS tests required by the Home Office are the IELTS for UKVI and the IELTS Life Skills.

The IELTS UKVI will assess the four language skills (Reading, Speaking, Listening and Writing).

The UKVI test results equivalent levels of B1 to C2 (depending on your exam results) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

There are two types of UKVI tests, these are the Academic (which you can use for applying in universities and immigration) and the General (which can be used for immigration purposes only)

As for my experience, I took the IELTS UKVI (Academic) as I deemed it to be multi-purpose.

The IELTS Life Skills will assess the only two language skills (Listening and Speaking) that are vital for community integration. The CEFR equivalent levels are A1 to B1 (depending on your exam results).

IELTS EXAM PRICE: It varies from country to country, rough estimate between £117 to £200.  Please check the test centre where you will be taking the exam.